THE EAPCCT and EDUCATION
The European Association of Poisons Centres and Clinical Toxicologists (EAPCCT) was founded in 1964 by a group of physicians and scientists with the specific goal of advancing knowledge and understanding of the diagnosis and treatment of all forms of poisoning.
In pursuance of this objective, the Association intends to
... foster a better understanding of the principles and practice of clinical toxicology.
... promote training in, and set standards for the practice of, clinical toxicology and to encourage high professional standards in poisons centres and in the management of poisoned patients generally..
(Art. 2 of the Constitution of the EAPCCT, 2006)
This page is dedicated to the education in clinical toxicology in various European countries.
The course for the Master of Science (Toxicology) at the Medical University of Vienna
includes a module in Clinical Toxicology. See the programme here
Since 1989 departments of six Dutch universities cooperate to offer a yearly Postgraduate Education in Toxicology (P.E.T.) programme
. In 2010 the cooperation was extended with two more universities. The programme consists of courses of approximately one or two weeks each. The complete programme is such that it offers the participants the theoretical toxicological knowledge necessary for registration as a toxicologist, both with the Netherlands Society of Toxicology and with EUROTOX.
- Nofer Institute of Occupational Medicine, Lodz (Director Prof. Konrad Rydzynski), Toxicology unit (Head: Anna Krakowiak, Assoc. Professor)
- Institute of Occupational Medicine and Environmental Health (Director: Piotr Brewczynski, MD, PhD), Clinical Toxicology unit with Regional Poisons Control Centre (Head: Tomasz Klopotowski, MD)
- Toxicology ward of L. Rydygiera Hospital, KrakÃ³w, Poland (e-mail: email@example.com) (contact: Barbara Groszek MD PhD (Clinical Toxicology and Internal Diseases).
- Warsaw Poison Information and Control Centre (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) (Head: Piotr Burda MD PhD.
- Pomerianan Center of Toxicology, Gdansk, Poland (e-mail: email@example.com) (Director: Wojciech Waldman MD PhD).
- Toxicological Ward of Lower Silesian Hospital T. Marciniak Memorial in Wroclaw (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Toxicological Ward in Fr. Raszei Hospital, Poznan (Magda Glebocka MD).
Since 2002, the Swedish Poisons Information Centre in Stockholm offers one or two postgraduate courses each year in clinical toxicology and metabolic syndromes. The courses are held over one week with lectures in Swedish and the number of participants varies from 26 to 75. Please, contact Jonas HÃ¶jer
for more information.
The Swiss Centre for Applied Human Toxicology
(SCAHT) offers a postgraduate modular Master of Advanced Studies
(MAS) in Geneva/Lausanne, and a pregraduate, full-time Master of Toxicology
(M.Sc.) course in Basel. Both include modules of clinical toxicology.
Please send information about education in clinical toxicology in your country to the webmaster
- The Global Educational Toxicology Uniting Project (GETUP)
is running an introductory course of clinical toxicology starting in August. Dr Anselm Wong, who is organising the course, has provided the details below.
This course comprises several weekly online modules designed to teach basic concepts in clinical toxicology and poisonings and is aimed at emergency doctors and other health professionals treating poisoned patients. Content has been designed by US and Australian Toxicologists with Emergency and Clinical Pharmacology backgrounds. The course was originally designed by Dr Andrew Stolbach from John Hopkins hospital to teach emergency residents and has been in use in multiple US hospitals and trialled in Fiji. Additional modules on agrochemicals have been added from Wikitox (Creative Commons). Contributions are continuously being added.
It is divided into pre-module multiple choice questions, a case based scenario and post-module multiple choice questions. No pre-reading is required. It is designed to evaluate knowledge prior to participating in the module compared to post module. It is generally expected each module will take up to 1 hour to complete.
On the completion of all modules and feedback, each participant will be issued a course completion certificate. It must be clear that this an introductory course and does not qualify one to practice as a clinical toxicologist.
There is no cost to enrol or participate in the course.
The next course will run from August to the end of November 2016.
Enrolment: By 30th June 2016.
Register at website: Surveymonkey
Requirements: Computer and Internet access Confirmation of course acceptance: Early July 2016.
- Cardiff University Medical Toxicology Courses (MSc/PgDip/PgCert)
The Department of Pharmacology, Therapeutics and Toxicology at Cardiff University has a major commitment to teaching postgraduate and undergraduate students. A key aim of our teaching programmes is to encourage critical thinking, as we equip our students not only with practical and factual knowledge, but also provide a basic approach to toxicological problems, encouraging attitudes and abilities which will be of lasting value in the future.
The department offers Certificate, Diploma and Masters distance learning Courses in Medical Toxicology. The courses are now modular and Certificate course runs over one year, the Diploma over two years and the Masters programme takes three years to complete. All assessment is done on-line and there is no requirement to attend Cardiff for a final examination. However, students are invited to attend an Update in Medical Toxicology Course held in Cardiff each November free of charge.
- Distance-learning, delivered entirely online. You can choose when and where to study, at home, at work or on the move.
- The course includes a Toxicology Update Course, which all candidates are encouraged (but not required) to attend.
- Targeted fortnightly reading guided by aims and outcomes for the period.
Please contact ScottE@cardiff.ac.uk or SullivanL4@cardiff.ac.uk or visit the course website for more information.
- The All Wales Therapeutics & Toxicology Centre (AWTTC), Cardiff, Wales offers a yearly Update in Medical Toxicology Course
The course is held over 3 days. The course is designed for those interested in medical toxicology including specialist registrars, physicians and nurses (particularly those working in emergency medicine) who wish to gain expertise in the practical management of common toxicological problems. Other health care professionals working in the field of medical toxicology may also find the course valuable. Please contact Tox.Course@wales.nhs.uk or visit the www.ttccardiff.com/toxcourse website for more information.
- Online distance learning course in Clinical Toxicology
The Australian Clinical Toxicology group runs an internet based online distance learning course in Clinical Toxicology which has an annual intake of students.
The course is suitable for medical practioners who forsee clinical toxicology to be part of their career path. Course material is delivered to a Diploma or Masters standard.
Students would require regular internet access, a computer and a level of English comprehension in reading that is sufficient to read journal literature and English fluency in writing that will allow contribution to the online discussions that will be part of the course.
The course is offering a limited number of free enrollments to eligible students. Preference will be given to students from countries with developing or emerging economies. The course will be run over 18 months and cover the significant areas in acute clinical toxicology.
Student selection would be based upon the student being able to demonstrate a need for training.
Potential students should contact Professor Andrew Dawson at email@example.com and attach
- contact details for 2 referees
- a statement about where they see this training fit with their career path and their local countries needs
- a letter of support from their institutions head or their supervisor
There are currently no other courses known to us. If you offer such a course, or if you know about a course worthwhile being placed here, please let the webmaster